Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Another day, another dollar

Wow! The weather is actually bearable now! It does not feel like I'm living in an oven anymore. I could get used to this. Walking out onto the uneven tarmac to get to the staff car-park after work today, I actually felt a cool breeze gently blowing by. There's still sand all around but I guess thats normal since I'm in the middle of a desert.

The birds that used to hide under cars are out and about now, doing what they do best. Flying around and shitting on the parked cars. Great. Turning towards my car, I catch a glimpse of the setting sun. Its a big orange ball thats slowly sinking into the horizon. Reminds me that I'm still connected to the same solar system as my family and friends. Its still beautiful, even when seen from such a harsh land.


Somehow, the distant sunset that turns everything else into a silhouette has a calming effect on me. It makes me feel that all my worries are sinking away and its time to unwind and relax. Call it a day you know what I mean? So as I get into my car and crank up the engine, a smile usually breaks out on my face. Put the car in gear and ease off the clutch, I slowly pull out of the car-park. The crunching sound of rubber against gravel, sand and tarmac resonates through the cabin signifying the beginning of the end of a long day.

And then as I leave, the palm trees bow down and respectfully bid me farewell.....wait, the trees WHAT??



The smile on my face disappears and a look of disbelief and puzzlement takes its place. Even the palm trees have called it a day on Saudi Arabia and decided to die. As I drive off into the sunset, I'm muttering to myself, "Only in Saudi Arabia....."

1 comment:

Sharon Chew's blog said...

Oh goodness....they really look like they are bowing to you....hahaha.