Thursday, September 03, 2009

Happy anniversary

28 August 2008, the day I arrived to Jeddah. Here I am now, a year later. Still alive, still ploughing on.

I guess you can actually survive here. However, it is tough and nearly impossible if not for the bi-monthly trips home to recharge and maintain my sanity. After spending so much time here, have I learnt to get by? Yes. Get used to this place and understand it? No.

In this world where normal rules do not apply, things still happen that make me take a step back to ponder why some of these people can be so rude, stubborn and thick headed. Other times I take a step back and wonder, why do you have to stand so close to me when you talk? Your breath stinks. You smell like a cow. And no, I do not want to shake your grimy hands. Bugger off.

But its not all bad. With the lack of anything else to do, I find that I exercise more regularly. I also eat healthily (read: bland home cooked food). So at least there is some good coming from this. I think I might also have learnt to be a more patient person. In fact, I've learnt to take things easy and not expect the stressful and brutal efficiency of home. You can't expect a donkey to gallop like a race horse can you?

In the midst of all this, I have also been able to make a new friend! Garfield. Garfield started showing up at my door a few weeks ago. It would always be sitting around my porch when I came back from my run/swim. It seemed to know when I would be back. I don't know why it decided to hang around but it always looked like it wanted to come in. I've decided to buy some cat food so that I can give Garfield a snack whenever it visits. Most of the time it's just happy to sit around and lounge though.

So here I am. Out of place, but exactly where I have to be. Hope there'll be some light at the end of this tunnel. Take care y'all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ha Garfield is damn cute.