Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The most stressful night ever

I hosted a buffet dinner last night. It was an annual event for my ground handling agents. It went well and everyone went home happy. Except me. While making my way home from the remote location of the chalet, I GOT LOST! The road I was on suddenly forked into 2 different directions without me knowing and of course, I was on the wrong one. Damn the dark roads and crappy road signs!

There were no immediate U turns as it was a freeway and none of the exit road names were familiar to me. I had no bloody idea where I was heading! Why did this have to happen to me?? And why are all the road signs in arabic and not illuminated?! Driving along in my car, I was very anxious and very stressed. My stomach felt like it was rearranging itself in figure-of-eight knots. My chest was tight and I couldn't breathe properly. I was really in the shits then. Visions of a rusted out honda civic with a skeleton still grabbing the steering wheel tightly in the middle of the desert floated in my head. NOOOOoooooooo!

So what did I do? Pray of course! I prayed and prayed and prayed and asked God to save me. Gosh I must've been chattering like a monkey on steroids. The next thing I knew, there was a blinding white flash and BAM! my car landed in my driveway! Ok actually no, but how cool would it be if it did happen that way huh? What really happened was I decided to get off the freeway and turned off at the next exit. I drove anxiously for a while more along "Al-Badouin Mohammmed dunno what sandy armpits mussi mussi road" and by the grace of God, I saw a familiar landmark! IKEA!

I've only been to IKEA once here and it was enough for me to know that if i continued on for a bit, I would be able to get on another freeway that would take me home. THANK YOU GOD!!! Somehow the exit that I took blindly turned out to be the right one. People would say lucky but I say it was all God's hand. Soon I was chugging home and singing along to my Christian CD blasting out of my car's speakers.

Thank you lord for getting me out of this. You've protected me and saved me so many times. Thank you for sending your angels to guide me home. Amen.

1 comment:

eunice said...

get a gps? do they even work in saudi arabia?