Friday, August 05, 2005

Option: Redline 163

Remember a couple of posts ago, I was complaining about my new board? Well here's a story about how things have changed since then.

After that trip to Buller that made me realise that I had to learn how to control my new snowboard, I decided that I was gonna ski at the falls creek trip. Why? Coz I thought that my group of friends were all gonna be skiing, plus I had promised to teach William to ski as well. So, I didn't bring my board to falls creek and would rent skis instead. Bummer.

Fast forward to the day we go to falls creek. At the pickup point, some major problems with the bus capacity resulted in a one hour delay and 20 people being left behind. Among those left behind was William, and they had to take an alternative transport plan to get to falls creek. They only arrived at falls creek at around 4pm that day. Therefore, I didn't get to ski with William on Friday (the first day) and thus didn't have the opportunity to teach him. Furthermore, Kelvin and Davina had decided to snowboard and I ended up spending time on the beginner slope teaching them the basics of boarding..... on my skis! After a while, I felt like I had no reason to be on skis and my board-sense was calling out to me from within. During this time, Ying and Alvin appeared out of no where and asked, "hey, can you teach us or give us some tips on snowboarding?"

That was it, I switched the rental skis for a rental board instead. I was muttering to myself, "Damn, I should have brought my own board." But you know what? I'm glad I didn't. The rental board that day, it helped me build up my confidence and understand the dynamics of snowboarding. It was like the board was re-educating me and then suddenly something in me clicked. I could snowboard before, but this experience with the rental board helped me move on to the next level. It was forgiving and helped me nail my toeing and edging. It didn't throw me over like my redline, yet it was teaching me how to use my own board. Bizarre. Anyhow, to cut the story short, after returning from falls creek, the guys wanted more so we headed up to Mt Buller the very next day and I'm proud to say, I rode my own board with confidence and ease. Yes, I am able to move fluidly and dynamically with the board and its an awesome feeling. The fear and uncertainty has been replaced with confidence and tonnes of FUN.

I wonder if God played a part in it. He must have been thinking, "He's not enjoying my mountain properly, better teach him how to snowboard". And thus the chain of events that lead to me renting a snowboard evolved. Anyhow, whatever it is, I'm glad things happened the way it did. Ride on!

Here's a mini video of me stacking at falls creek for your enjoyment. Credits go to Eunice.













note: stacking is an aussie slang for crashing......

No comments: